Keep up to date with the latest Andrew Granger & Co news
Mon 11 July 2022
In case you weren’t already aware, from the moment a property is marked as sold (subject to contract) it currently takes 150 days, on average, to reach that desired completion day. Which, believe it or not, is 50 days longer than if you’d sold your property in 2019.
This is because there’s currently a backlog in the conveyancing procedure: the important paperwork aspect handled by a solicitor, that happens between having an offer accepted and getting the keys to your new home. With so many people having moved home since Covid-19, and so many people still wanting to move, this has had a knock-on effect of this part of the moving process so it’s taking longer than usual.
The good news is that there’s still enough time to make it into a new home in time for Christmas 2022, and here are our top tips to help speed up the process:
· Get your house on the market before you start looking for your next home. You’ll be in the best buying position if you’ve already secured a buyer and your offer will be looked at more favourably as you’re able to move.
· Make sure you have a mortgage in principle in place before you book any viewings. The seller’s estate agent will need confirmation that you can proceed with the purchase, should you wish to make an offer. Again, placing you in a strong buying position.
· Research and choose a conveyancer at the same time as putting your property on the market, or start looking for a property if you’re a first-time buyer – as this helps saves valuable time later.
· It’s best to choose to sell your home with a well-established and knowledgeable agent that is more likely to spend time progressing the sale, and it’s worth checking out their Google reviews beforehand. An agent who has experience and understanding of the market will always get the best price possible for your property, too.
· Once you’ve instructed a conveyancer, there are also things you can do to keep the process moving. Let them know as early as possible if you need answers to specific questions and press for regular updates on how the sale is going.
· Complete and return paperwork for the estate agents and solicitors as soon as you can to help to keep everything moving along, nicely.
Andrew Granger & Co’s experienced sales teams based in Leicester, Loughborough and Market Harborough are more than happy to give advice and guide you through buying or selling a home. To find out more, including how to book your free market appraisal, go to www.andrewgranger.co.uk.