Keep up to date with the latest Andrew Granger & Co news
Wed 25 January 2023
Located in the heart of a rural Leicestershire village, planning consent has been obtained to re-develop a key brownfield site – including residential conversion of two former Chapels.
Designed with award-winning local architects, rg+p Ltd., the site now has the benefit of full detailed planning permission to rejuvenate this key location in Wymondham thanks to the hard work of Andrew Granger & Co’s planning and development team.
Having advised on the project for several years, our Associate Planner, Chris Green, outlines the key factor in obtaining the consent:
“Our landowner client has a long-standing relationship with the beautiful village of Wymondham, so we knew that this project – to bring a key site in the centre of the Conservation Area back into life – needed to achieve a standard of design set elsewhere locally, in order to respect and enhance the local character of the site.”
Initial discussions were held over a number of years with the local Parish Council, with the site achieving a development allocation within the now adopted Neighbourhood Plan and a draft scheme tweaked following crucial local input, before the application was even submitted.
What followed was detailed deliberation with the Local Authority’s Conservation Officer to ensure all bases had been covered:
“Whilst the existing buildings on the site were not formally listed by Historic England, we knew that they had considerable local importance at the heart of the protected Conservation Area.”
“Much of the site had been disused for many years, including the Wesleyan Chapel – built in 1891 – as well as the Congregational Chapel, which was first built way back in 1841. Through this sympathetic scheme, devised by the highly skilled architects and with input from the passionate Conservation Officer, we believe the prominent site will once again sit pride of place in the village.”
The scheme not only delivers the high-quality Chapel conversion but delivers a terrace of four new-build dwellings and a much-needed bungalow – whilst also retaining ‘Miss Gill’s Shop’, a small building used in the 1880’s as a hosiery manufactory and by the 1960s and 70s as an antique shop.
The site has now been sold through Andrew Granger & Co's Loughborough office, subject to contract.
If you need any help or guidance regarding a planning or development project, please get in touch with us on 01858 439090. Alternatively, you can find out more information here: https://www.andrewgranger.co.uk/pages/planning-and-development2